Stunning Scot Beauty
Kirsty Hume (born 4 September 1976) is a Scottish model who was one of the top supermodels of the 1990s.
Kirsty Hume is best remembered by Victoria's Secret fans for walking in the 1999 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. She is known to the broader public - perhaps not by name, but by appearance - for the slew of covers she has had on top fashion magazines.
Kirsty is from Ayrshire, Scotland. She took a local modelling and grooming course whilst attending the Dundee School of Art, and that led her to sign with a Glasgow agency at the age of 16. Soon, she was walking in the Spring/Summer Ready to Wear for Valentino and Chanel, and her career was off and running.
There's a simple rule in the fashion industry: you either have "The Look," or you don't. Kirsty Hume has The Look. There is ample real-world evidence of that.
Kirsty scored a number of covers during her active years, and still appears in fashion magazines:
- Australia: 'Elle' - October 1996; 'Vogue' - April 1998; 'Elle' - October 1999; 'Oyster' - #94 2011
- Finland: 'Cosmopolitan' - May 2007
- Germany: 'Vogue' - May 1996; 'Vogue' - February 1997; 'Elle' - September 1998; 'Vogue' - January, May & October 1998; 'Marie Claire' (supplement) - February 1999; 'Glamour' - August 2005; 'Elle' - January 2006; 'Elle' - November 2006
- Hong Kong: 'Elle' - September 1996
- Italy: 'Harper's Bazaar' - March 1996; 'Ragazza' - April 1996; 'D' - March 04 1997; 'Marie Claire' - April 1998; 'D' - January 26 1999; 'D' - March 02 1999; 'D' - April 27 1999
- Japan: 'Vogue Nippon' - September 2000
- Spain: 'Marie Claire' - March, June & November 1996; 'Vogue' - January 1999
- UK: 'Elle' - January 1996; 'Elle' - July 1998; 'Marie Claire' - December 1999; 'Easy Living' - May 2005; 'Red' - March 2011
- US: 'Elle' - October 1994; 'Harper's Bazaar' - July 1994; 'Mademoiselle' - September 1995, 'Vogue' - November 1995; 'Allure' - June 1996; 'Mademoiselle' - April 1996; 'Marie Claire' - February & September 1996; 'Allure' - December 1997; 'Vogue' - February 1997; 'C' - Fall 2005
Kirsty walked for the usual crowd of top fashion designers, including: Dior, Givenchy, Chanel, Lanvin, Yves Saint Laurent, Christian Lacroix, Gianfranco Ferré, Claude Montana, Alexander McQueen, Giorgio Armani, Gianni Versace, Roberto Cavalli, Prada, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Oscar de la Renta and Donna Karan. She was the feature model for Chanel ads in 1996.
Some fairly recent fashion magazine editorial credits that I can find for Kirsty Hume:
- September Harper's Bazaar UK, Pop
- July Vogue UK
- March Self Service
- July Vogue Italy
|Kirsty marrying Donovan Leitch in Scotland.|
Kirsty married rocker Donovan Leitch, Jr. in 1997. They had a tempestuous relationship that lasted for about 15 years, living in Woodstock in upstate New York and attending various wild Halloween parties with other celebrities. The pair separated around 2010 and divorced officially in 2014.
Kirsty has a definite hippie-chick side to her. Unverified reports are that she lives in Woodstock, wears flip-flops, loves to paint and studies paganism. The Woodstock area is popular with former models (Paulina Porizkova lives or lived in the area) and other celebrities... not so sure about the paganism part. Maybe she dressed up as a witch some Halloween and people took it the wrong way, you never know how these rumors begin.
|Photo of Kirsty Hume by Erik Madigan Heck.|
Hume was in the fashion film 'Decadent Control' by Imagine Fashion in 2011, and appeared in the prestigious 1998 Pirelli Calendar.
Kirsty Hume was named to People Magazine's "50 Most Beautiful" list in 1996.
|Kirsty Hume in 2017 (courtesy of Velvet by Graham & Spencer, photographed by Hilary Walsh).|
Despite being best known as a '90s model, Kirsty Hume by no means has departed the fashion scene. She continues to get assignments as of this writing in 2017. In fact, Kirsty has begun doing some design work herself. For instance, Kirsty helped design a Velvet collection, inspired by Kirsty's Scottish-turned-Californian-turned-Woodstock vibe.
We are sure to be seeing more of Kirsty over time, she's an inspiration to those who know all that she has accomplished.