Almudena Fernández (born January 1, 1974, some sources say 1977) is a Spanish model.
Almudena was born at Benavente, in the province of Zamora, Spain.
Fernández began her professional career at an early age, entering and finishing second in a Supermodel of the World contest sponsored by Spanish Elle. She began modelling at the age of 16. Almudena was a touch short for a top fashion model, not quite 1.74 meters (5'8"). However, Almudena was accepted as a top model anyway due to her lithe figure and classic good looks.
After that, Almudena left Madrid and soon wound up on runways in Milan, Paris, and finally New York.
Like many top models, Almudena eventually moved to New York and has lived in the Big Apple for many years.
|Almudena in the September 1997 UK supplement to Elle.|
Almudena's covers include:
- Denmark: 'Euroman' - July 2002
- France: 'Max' - March 2001, 'Joyce'; 'Biba'; 'Elle' - ? 1997; 'Madame Figaro' - November 8 1997
- Mexico: 'Vanidades' - October 24 2006
- South Africa: 'Elle' - August 1997
- Spain: 'Man' - February 1994; 'Novias de España' - Fall/Winter 1996; 'Elle' (supplement) - September 1997; 'Woman' - July 2000; 'Woman' - January 2001; 'Arte de Vivir' - November 2002; 'GQ' - April 2003; 'Marie Claire' - January 2003; 'Metaphore' - April 2004; 'DT' - October 2004; 'Hojas' - February/March 2005; 'Yo Dona' - October 15, 2005; 'Arte de Vivir' - #8 2006; 'Wapa Magazine' - April 2006; 'XL Semanal' - June 11, 2006; 'Elle' - December 2006; 'Vanidad' - December 2007; 'El Pais Semanal' - September 14 2008; 'Condé Nast Traveler' - April 2009; 'Woman' - April 2009; 'GQ' - November 2009; 'Todo Boda' - #22 2010; 'Yo Dona' - November 06 2010; 'Mia' - May 11 2011; 'Yo Dona' - May 25 2013
- UK: 'Elle' (Supplement) September 1996; 'Cosmopolitan' September 1997; 'Marie Claire Health & Beauty' - May/June 1999; 'Cosmopolitan' - July 2001
- Swiss: 'Bolero' - May 2002
Almudena is a veteran of working for the top brands, including Victoria's Secret and L'Oreal.
Almudena also represented perfumes for Carolina Herrera Aquaflore (1998) and Givenchy's Organza Indécence (after 1999).
|Almudena for Carolina Herrera Aquaflore.|
Almudena was named the Cosmopolitan TV "Best International Model" in 2007.
Almudena also is renowned beauty outside of fashion, having won the 'Miss Madrid' contest in 1992.
Almudena is passionate about environmental causes and appeared in the 2002 Greenpeace calendar as well as the 2004 Larios Calendar.
Almudena also works with the United Nations on various initiatives, and has developed an interest in acting, appearing in a Willie Nelson music video.
Almudena has her own website.
Almudena is a woman of many interests and has a life far beyond modelling.
Almudena Fernández is on Twitter, with over 10,000 followers, and Instagram, with 44,000 followers at last check. A Facebook page is devoted to Almudena.
After 20 years in the business, Almudena Fernández basically retired from modelling around 2012. She now focuses her attention on "Kind Surf," an organization that works with children with mobility problems, with physical and mental disabilities.
While Almudena has retired, she has said:
Soy modelo y moriré modelo ("I am a model and I will die a model").
Almudena loves to surf. She says that surfing allows her "to disconnect from the environment and connect with yourself." She has combined that passion with her charitable inclinations in forming her "Kind Surf" NGO (similar to a charity).
There apparently is an actress with the same name as Almudena - who knew it was such a common moniker? - and there appears to be some confusion in many sources as to exactly who did what. However, we have made our best effort to keep the information here to the supermodel Almudena Fernández and not the actress.